Monday, October 07, 2013

ALL For A Blue Sari~





This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 42; the forty-second edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. The theme for the month is "COLOR"



HAPPY DURGA PUJA TO ALL.....

Like other religious festivals, during Durga Pujas, it’s a custom to wear new clothes on all the five days of the celebrations.  And ethnic wear is the chosen dress code; women, men and children strut traditional stuff while pandal (marquee) hopping.


For me, the big autumn festival brings in a ritual of buying fresh new saris. Baby pink with a paisley grey anchal; lime green and purple stripes on cream; black with a broad, resplendent silver grainy border; ice blue with a slate grey border and buti- ah, the color choice is infinite, and it is amazing how beautifully they are evenly distributed over the 6 yard materials.


My husband is an introvert, and less demonstrative of his preferences. I thought, he never cared much about what I wore, how I dressed... until one day, he casually said,' I like you in blue'... It felt wonderful, and without thinking twice, I decided to buy a blue sari for this puja. He also refrained from saying anything more, letting me take my own time, my own way of coming to decision.
----


So, this time,when I was going for my sari shopping, I urged him to come along- (knowing fully well how impatient he is, when it comes to shopping; his literary temperament makes him stifle in such shopping environments.) But, then with time and age, people do adjust and change.A meaningful glance, a casual nod of the head, a familiar smile this time made it more convincing!

In the shop, I kept digging for a blue sari and in fact, drove the salesman mad, for he had all shades but the one (blue) I wanted…He was pressing the other colors on me, talking glibly the way all salesman do. Soon, many colors mounted up on the counter. Dear hubby was amazingly patient, everything was fair in the wake of a festive mood, I thought. 

But, good phases are generally too good to last. I never realized that he was slowly getting miffed, till I heard him yelling,’ how does it matter what color is it..? Better hurry up...’

Startled, I looked at him- his eyebrows were drawn together in an irritated frown. I realized, he had completely forgotten about that 'blue’ statement…! 

The jab was too sharp, too sudden, too swift to upset any plan. The words sounded menacing, The same voice, like a warning, doused all the excitement instantly...But then, I knew, that he cared for me, so I let go...and caught up in the gravity of what I was doing...and it was so easy to let the colors/choice drift without any weight of approval or disapproval. 
--
---

Every Bengali woman, no matter her age, social status, economic prowess, owns a traditional Korial and/or Garad saree. And this truth is in no way exaggerated!! Both these are accepted as ‘pure’ clothing item fit to be worn on religious and auspicious occasions. 

I feel, Durga Puja is the time, to put away chiffons and georgettes, and adorn the trendy white sari with the traditional red border. And a dazzle of zari adds more verve to this sari. The color red has a symbolic meaning; it stands for love, passion, and bliss. The color white stands for purity and peace… So, eventually I got a traditional 'Garad' sari for myself.

**The Garad (‘Garad’ means white and refers to silk that has not been dyed) silk saree is one, in which the silk fibres are woven extremely close together. This saree is distinguished by a red border on a white/off-white background. Additionally, evenly spaced embroidered motifs (primarily paisleys) are weaved on the pallav of the saree.**

Traditional Bengal Garad Sari~

The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. Participation Count: 14

33 comments:

  1. My husband loves to shop and so I do not face any problems.

    My favourite colour s white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and my hubby hates shopping..especially sari-shopping!!! This was one of the rare occasions when I took him along..and felt bad for him later on. Thanks Kalpana....:)
      Did you write for BAT..? Well, this is Durga Puja time for us, And I scribbled down this story quickly just now for the sake of participation. Had no time to edit it also...so, posted unedited!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely narrated. Don't worry about not having time to edit it. This one does not need any editing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Sunjoo. I am relieved...:)

      Delete
  4. ha....shopping is not my favorite thing to do either but i have improved in that regard over the years...i used to take a book to keep me occupied...but i have embraced letting my wife model what she finds....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OhBrian, he's so much like you!! Even he travels with a book everywhere...I have tried my level best to make our shopping-time interesting, but, alas..he never improved :(( Smiles...

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Happy Durga Puja, Vandana....t you and your family!

      Delete
  6. Most husbands are wary of shopping. We, ladies enjoy shopping. Happy Durga Ashtami to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..we ladies are extremely fond of shopping, but there are few men who also enjoy..I so wanted my man to join me...arghh, he's incorrigible :P
      LOL..
      Thanks Usha..

      Delete
  7. हमेशा की तरह सुंदर प्रस्तुति और सुंदर कथन
    नवरात्रि और विजयदशमी की हार्दिक शुभकामनाएं

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Shashi for your apprecition.. Happy Durga Puja to you and your family too..:)

      Delete
  8. Its just the opposite with me...my husband keeps urging me to shop and I keep saying no...he drags me until I say yes and then he takes a quite corner like I have dragged him to shopping :p....wonderful writeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider yourself lucky, the factfiction! I soooo wanted My Man to be like that...but, your hubby sounds interesting. Witty... Hahaha...
      God bless...
      Thanks for the encouragement...:)

      Delete
  9. Even my husband never accompany for shopping :(.
    I'm fan of Bengali sarees, I have tant sarees, Baluchari sarees, Kantha sarees, and Dakkai Jamdani etc, in my collection. But never knew about Garad saree. Soon I should own one Garad saree.
    By the way, did you buy, Blue saree? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, eventually I changed my mind, Ranjana....Bouht a Garad for myself ! :D Must buy one since you deal with saris...:) They look lovely...thanks:))

      Delete
  10. All for a sari. Happy Durga Puja to you! Keep writing for BAT!

    Someone is Special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to have you here, SiS!! Yea, all for a blue sari!! ....And this is all I could write this time...:( This is a busy time for us. But, I didn't want to miss the fun!. Thanks for accepting my BAT entry...
      Thanks for the encouragement....:)

      Happy Durga Puja to you and your family !!

      Delete
    2. It's our pleasure to have you as a part of Blog-a-Ton. Thanks for the wishes. Keep writing :)

      Delete
  11. so u did not buy the "mera wala blue" sari? but this one is also nice...i like that beli on the pallu...

    ReplyDelete
  12. But you look rocking in any color you wear Panchali Di! (Those splendid DPs of yours :D) But I guess the special blue held a very special significance for you.
    Seems like I have to spy over your Sari collection some day!
    And the Garad sari is so beautiful :) Upload a pic of you in it ok?
    Loved this one. Beautifully narrated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice one, panchali di :) ( I am new here, still, please don't mind me addressing you so :-) )
    For us down south, Navaratri is equally important and is the time for us to turn deliberately traditional as well...
    Loved the Garad :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your posts always leave a soft yet humble smile ma'am. I am sure you'll one day get the perfect blue shade you were looking for. :) Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bengali women look very elegant in saris esp during Durga puja! Wishing you and family a lovely time at Pujo:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Puja Panchali--it IS BEST TO LEAVE HUSBANDS AT HOME WHEN ONE GOES SHOPPING.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Had a nice read... :)
    Your saree is gorgeous and wearing it you'll make it more charming !
    Happy Durga Puja :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Durga Puja Panchali.
    More for your special someone than for a blue saree, lovely!

    Good luck for BAT.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Extremely beautiful sari.

    Like most husbands, I too hate accompanying my wife for shopping, especially when it comes to sarees. The prices tags don't help matters ;)

    But then again, when the saree is worn, it brings a smile to her face...and mine :)

    Happy durga pooja.

    And All the best for BAT 42.

    Here's my entry

    CRD - HOLY WAR

    Cheers
    CRD

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is informational. I am always fascinated by the Puja. I have grown up going to pendals. I liked what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome Panchali!
    I'm sorry, that was a long time from you.
    I had problems ...
    Beautifully told.
    I am delighted with your interesting post.
    I wish you all the best.
    I send greetings from distant Polish.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nicely applied all the hues on your sari selection post.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a line if you have the time...Thanks!