Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Narcissus in chains~

“Narcissus weeps to find that his image does not return his love.”
—Mason Cooley


Born narcissist,
   and burdened with pretense
I have laid strange standards for myself
Pitiful suppression of ...the “who is..?”
 Foster the live wires of my mind.
Impractical…I scream! But….
The unmoored Narcissist breathes,
Remains unchanged, unaltered inside me.
—A catalyst gives variations to this wretched soul.

Sometimes, when the weight melts,
The mirror, bursting with laughter reflects me,
Asks: ‘why am I waging this useless war?’
Idiosyncrasy…. ? Ah, probably yes.  
No stepping back possible,
Vanity…. sways my snobbish self  
    It gives me that extra edge
(a strange kind of pleasure you may say)
….Oh, it's a perverse logic
Where identity drips,
  destroying the pages of my who’s who!!
Inky black…. voices of conscience mingle, chase.

My, My, what’s all this?
Who am I looking at, myself?

I can’t believe!



Worrying about everyone else’s possible thoughts doesn’t contribute much. Don’t wait for someone else’s permission to be amazing. If they don’t see it in you, it doesn’t matter.
" Be the best version of yourself and your own biggest fan."- unknown. 

10 comments:

  1. The crux of this lies here, for me:
    "I have laid strange standards for myself" -- And I literally mean LIES. I feel this, deeply. I set impossible standards for myself, and believe the lie that they are possible. Too much comparing, not enough contentment. This is an important reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On some level we are all born narcissist. It takes effort not to be. As a child it is all about our needs, and hopefully as we mature we gain a modicum of control there. Someone gives us praise, do we take pride in our work -- where do we cross the line into vanity?

    Comparison is surely one of the roots of all evil. When we compare we are diminishing one of the two things, giving precedent to the other.

    The end pose an interesting question. Who do I choose to be? It is our choice ultimately, what we will put our mind to and discipline ourselves to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Oh, it's a perverse logic
    Where identity drips,
    destroying the pages of my who’s who!!"

    What perfection it would be to know and enjoy the other who and know/love myself too! The way they interact is grounded in insecurity and envy. I'm afraid I have to learn to love the doubt too. Such a vulnerable and truthful poem! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The line I especially love in this post is "Dont wait for someone else's permission to be amazing"! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly the more vain we are the more blind we become. Lucky are those who see their own faults and luckier still those who like the person they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know we are all narcissusts (spelling) at heart. We check our butts in new skirts or trousers, in costumes, in store windows...I like your take on this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Born narcissist,
    and burdened with pretense"...At least I'm this :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!💞 Yes vanity does give pleasure to a person (however temporary that may be) and in return clouds vision and better judgment. Brilliant write!💞

    ReplyDelete
  9. great poem and thoughtful ideas

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a line if you have the time...Thanks!