Thursday, July 20, 2017

And....I Roll Down The Mask

Wearing a Mask




I often wondered, 
    why an anonymous confidence balanced perfectly
When I walked clothed in dark…disguised
All by myself? 
Why was I relishing
      this semblance of anonymity?

I just didn’t realise, 
  there was a word to describe it. 
 ' Masken-freiheit':
(Standing behind a mask)
Deep down an invitation progressively indulged
   the inner Mr. Hyde, so to speak;
The thought frightened me to no end. 
I decided to kill the bottled potion of madness  
That dared to re-shape, re-define me,
Again, again and again.

Keeping the threshold
    of my ego secure, 
- that night-
I rolled down the mask
  And bashed it to death.
My mind rocked a bit
  but, came together at once,
without all careful disguises.

Today, 
I travel on,
unbothered… unmasked
unguarded…defenceless;
In alert awareness
wrapped within
My true self?

That’s how it is, and
It should be…


“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.” ~The Scarlet Letter


10 comments:

  1. True self, as it is and as it should be. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's quite a violent end! But if it's as different as Jekyll and Hyde, I don't blame you. At least it's faster (and more final) than the simple non-cooperation I've been trying. I love "Masken freiheit," reading it as "the freedom provided by masking." And yet, this sounds wonderful to me:
    "unbothered… unmasked
    unguarded…defenceless;"
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today,
    I travel on,
    unbothered… unmasked
    unguarded…defenceless;
    In alert awareness
    wrapped within
    My true self?

    That’s how it is, and
    It should be…

    This is soo powerful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is wonderful. I wrote a very similar poem.......the journey is to discard the mask and tap the wells within........so well expressed in your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The temptation to put on our mask is so great if we believe that somehow we will appear better than what we are. There are so many Mr. Hyde's even in high places that still wear a mask and we still don't know who they really are. I loved the bit where you bashed your mask to death!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A well composed reflection. Thank you for this look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bashing the mask to death and emerging as "unbothered… unmasked / unguarded…defenceless;" This should be the destination for all. It's healing and uplifting. So well put Panchali di.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unmasked being your true Yes! the way to go Beautiful and well expressed I absolutely love this line "I decided to kill the bottled potion of madness"

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh so wonderful...and so true...I loved the way you wrote this...the pause, the flow and all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This poem speaks truth, Panchali. we really have to be our true selves - maskless & true to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a line if you have the time...Thanks!