Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Averting The Evil Eyes


I LEARNT TO LOVE YOU –the hard way

You and I met
Under strains of lunacy
As prospective marriage partners
We crawled into the coffins of the astrologer's forecast
And discovered the ordinariness of marriage games!
Seeing you as a pawn tethered to a pillar of ignorance
Indecorously tied to that large banyan tree...  suffocated me
All my desires and dreams shrieked their hearts out.
I was cut off  almost instantly…
 I realized the hollowness in the name of' ' beliefs'
My profundities made me drowsy
The sweat on your face was still warm,
The beads on your forehead were glowing in tender innocence
Oh, so many 'kohinoors', to be claimed; I yearned...
Such images do not inspire a song but defines a bond
I decided to take you in my life discrediting my family's beliefs
Wedding drums resonated from the rubble of a storm...
And my soul awaited daybreak...
"Hope" is the thing with feathers—
That perches in the soul—"
And the feathers represent the qualities
 Of kindness, responsibilty and compassion.
In the mirror-works of your kameez,
I could catch the sunshine come and go in buoyant bursts
 Eyes crinkled, but my soaring spirit needed no prop
I took you down to the seashore and let waves wash over your hennaed toes
Celebrating freedom!--  my, oh my! it was like an explosion on senses
A big wave rolled in and drenched both of us to the waist
The helpless crowds gathered to watch the ritual gently disintegrated
In each other's arms, our souls heard the little tête-à-têtes ---a pair of lips sealed
For the first time, I saw a joyful face, so apt, so radiant for the occasion
Your smile was utter, every muscle in your face went into it
The sound of the crashing water and your eager lips wrestled with my conscience
Feelings emerged---to break all bounds...
Yes, I was fast, too fast ---
But thankfully  it was impatience for my timely intervention and not lust...





 Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom. -- Bertrand Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a line if you have the time...Thanks!